Three Rivers offers adapted equipment for almost any activity. Whether you want to relax on the beach or try a new sport, we can help make sure you have the equipment to do it comfortably — and at no additional cost.
To arrange for the use of adapted equipment or learn more about the equipment, please contact the park you would like to visit. A two-week advance notice best ensures we can fulfill your request, but we do our best to accommodate requests on shorter notice.
Three Rivers also offers inclusion services for people with disabilities who participate in general recreation and education programs.
Adapted Recreation video with audio descriptions.
Archery Bow Stand
Assists archers who have difficulty gripping or holding up a bow.
Available for scheduled programs only.
The paddling seat consists of pelvic, lateral, lumbar and upper-back supports. It has several vertical adjustments to fit different torso lengths and types.
Available for scheduled programs only.
Child Ski & Bike Trailers
Child ski trailers are used by adults to pull children while skiing. The harness is designed to pull a 60-pound child. Trailers fit pre-set tracks or can be used to skate ski. Child ski trailers are available to rent at a rate of $6 for 4 hours.
- Baker Ski Chalet (1)
- French Visitor Center (1)
- Hyland Visitor Center (1)
- Carver Trailhead Building (1)
Child bike trailers are used by adults to pull children while biking. This trailer is designed to pull 1–2 children for a total of 100-pound capacity. Child bike trailers are available to rent at a rate of $8 for 2 hours.
The Canon Powershot SX50 includes a remote switch and a flexible tripod that can be attached to a chair or railing. This equipment is helpful for people with unsteady hands or arms and limited mobility.
Available at Silverwood Park for scheduled groups and programs.
Solo rider golf carts are available for golf programs or as rental carts after an assessment has been completed. There is no fee to use adapted golf carts.
Available at Eagle Lake Youth Golf Center (4).
Off-road hand-powered cycles and one electric-assist handcycle are available for people with limited or no use of their lower extremities. They can also be helpful for people with balance issues. Available for programs only.
Kayaks with adjustable back and side support, outriggers for added stability and paddle wrist grips are available for scheduled programs at no additional cost. These adaptations may be helpful for people with limited hand function, limited lower body movement or balance issues.
Nordic Walking & Trekking Poles
Used for walking, the poles can assist with balance, help reduce pressure on joints and increase your cardio workout. The Nordic pole strap is secured around a person's hand, and there is a hole for the thumb.
PAL (Protect & Locate) Tracking System
The PAL tracking system is worn on the wrist just like a normal wristwatch. The difference with PAL is that it will protect and locate an "at-risk" individual if they wander. Along with the digital watch/transmitter, PAL also has a portable receiver that notifies the caregiver of a wandering event through the use of GSM and GPS technologies.
The device is available on a first-come, first-served basis. A three-day limit applies. Contact Public Safety at 763-694-7730 to reserve a unit. Note: The PAL unit is meant to assist with – but is not a substitute for – monitoring of vulnerable individuals.
Sit-skis are available to rent at cross-country ski facilities or with outdoor education programs. They are made of lightweight aluminum frames with seat slings mounted on cross-country skis. They can be used in or out of the groomed ski trail track. The individual propels the sit-ski by using a double poling technique. Three Rivers uses Kiwi brand sit-skis (product information).
- Baker Ski Chalet (1 adult)
- Elm Creek Chalet (7 adult)
- French Visitor Center (1 adult)
- Carver Trailhead Building (1 adult)
- Hyland Visitor Center (2 adult)
Adapted snow sleds have side and back support. They can be pushed from behind or pulled while walking, as well as used on slopes.
Three Rivers offers several wheelchair models.
Available at (* designates availability for programs only):
- Baker Outdoor Learning Center*: 1 large child/small adult (Terratek)
- Eastman Nature Center: 1 small child (Drive Medical Design and Manufacturing)
- Gale Woods Farm: 1 adult (Quickie)
- Lake Minnetonka Swim Pond: 1 adult Steel Transport Chair (Nova, product information)
- The Landing: 1 adult (Breezy Ultra 4)
- Lowry Nature Center: 1 child (Quickie)
- Silverwood Park: 1 adult (Breezy Ultra 4)
All-terrain wheelchairs are available for general use, programs and lessons upon request.
- Baker Outdoor Learning Center: 1 adult (Top End)
- Richardson Nature Center
- 1 adult (Terra Trek, product information)
- 1 child (Everest & Jennings)
- Lowry Nature Center: 1 adult (Terra Trek, product information)
- Eastman Nature Center: 1 child and 1 adult (Terra Trek, product information)
Three Rivers has multiple models of wheelchairs for beach use, which can be used in the swim ponds or the sand. They are available for programs and lessons upon request.
- Lake Minnetonka Regional Park: 1 Hippocampe beach chair (product information) available during the beach season (Memorial Day through Labor Day); available at Lowry Nature Center after the beach season.
- Elm Creek Swim Pond: 1 Tiralo beach chair (product information)
- This floating chair can accommodate up to 300 pounds. The chair must be pulled by someone to the water, and non-swimmers must wear a personal flotation device (PFD) while using the chair.